If you plan to undergo a root canal in Greensburg, Indiana, our team at Family Dental Care of Greensburg encourages you to prepare in advance to make your recovery process as simple and comfortable as possible. To help your mouth heal, we suggest the following steps:
– Take pain relievers as instructed: Your dentist will prescribe pain medication at the time of your procedure. Taking this medication as instructed will help you feel comfortable while your tooth heals. To avoid adverse drug interaction, notify your dentist before the procedure if you’re already taking prescription medication.
– Don’t eat until the numbness wears off: Chewing with a numb mouth increases your chances of biting your cheek or tongue, resulting in further discomfort.
– Treat your temporary filler with care: Fully restoring a tooth after a root canal may take more than one visit to the dentist. If you leave your first appointment with a temporary filler, be extra gentle to avoid dislodging it. Don’t bite down on the tooth or brush it vigorously until you receive a permanent filler.
– Keep your mouth clean: Your tooth will heal much faster if it doesn’t have to battle food particles or plaque. Good oral hygiene will also reduce your risk of needing more root canals in the future.
– Notify your dentist of negative reactions: If you experience severe pain or pressure for more than a few days, contact your dentist. Other issues may be an uneven bite, visible swelling inside or outside the mouth, or an allergic reaction.
For more information on recovering from a root canal, contact Family Dental Care of Greensburg at 812-663-4400. Dr. Seth C. Conley and Dr. David A. Dickey is proud to provide root canal treatment and will gladly answer all of your questions.